Setting up the small business of your dreams? For retail store safety tips, we’re your one-stop shop.
To get started:
- Step up your security. Cut back on crime with security cameras and alarm systems, and teach employees how to use them. (If an employee leaves your company, change your alarm code.)
- Think like a thief. Pretend you’re a shoplifter. What would you take, and how would you get away with it? Make adjustments accordingly.
- Drop off deposits. How much cash should you keep in your register? Choose a small amount you can still conduct business with, and make sure the rest goes right to the bank. This way, in the event of a robbery, there would be a lot less to run off with. Another tip? To avoid being too predictable, try taking different routes to the bank.
- Set out signs. Out of order? Wet floor? Whatever the case may be, make sure customers know what to watch for.
- Clear the clutter. If you give customers something to trip over, you could get tripped up by a lawsuit.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Visibility makes any space safer. When you’re in the store, you should be able to see out. And any passersby should be able to see in. This way, your employees will be able to see if something or someone dangerous is approaching. Additionally, onlookers will be able to see if something dangerous is happening inside (like a robbery, for example) and call 911.
- Let there be light. It’s important to eliminate any dark areas in your store. Be sure to keep extra light bulbs easily accessible. That way, it’s less likely for someone to trip or run into something.
- Find a fire extinguisher. Every building should have one on every floor. Be sure to get it inspected and tagged annually.
- Report potholes in your parking lot. To take care of them, contact your county or the property owner.
- Carefully screen candidates. Before you hire them, be sure to check their background.
- Train your talent. If it’s part of their job description, they should take part in a training.
- Invest in insurance. As a small business owner, you have enough things on your mind. Insurance shouldn’t be one of them. Get commercial coverage you can count on, like liability, workers’ compensation, cyber or even an umbrella policy.
Could your retail store be safer? Let our experts be the judge. Schedule a visit with a safety services specialist near you.