Planning on painting? Updating a room in your home can be a lot of work, but there are ways to make your project easier.
To help make your room look picture perfect, follow these seven painting tips:
- Clean your walls before you add new color. According to the painting professionals, paint doesn’t stick well to dirty walls. For the best results possible, clean them with soap and water and rinse. Then, let them dry overnight.
- Wait for the right weather. Painting on a humid day can lead to drips and increased drying time.
- Purchase the right amount of paint. Experts recommend one gallon of paint for every 400 square feet. To make sure you have the right amount, know how much square footage you have to cover, and know that covering textured, rough or unprimed surfaces may require a bit more.
- Mix your paint. To keep your color consistent from start to finish, combine your individual gallons of paint into one large container and mix thoroughly.
- Keep everything covered. Think drop cloths. Think painter’s tape. Think small, plastic bags over doorknobs. It’s worth the time to get the room ready.
- Paint from top to bottom. Don’t let drips or splatters ruin your room’s look. Painting from top to bottom makes it so you can paint over little mistakes as you work your way down.
- Pencil in enough dry time. Before you bring everything back into the room, give it at least 24 hours to dry.
Want even more insights? Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.